Grantees‎ > ‎

Visa & Residence Permit

Visa for third countries nationals

Please be aware: You'll need a visa to enter the host country  to start studies/research visits in Europe. It is important to be aware that most visa issues are under competence of national states, there are no single regulations and requirements for all EU countries.
You have to apply for this visa in person at the competent AT/HU/NL/RO/ES representative authority (embassy, consulate-general) before travelling to Europe and the entry visa will be issued by this authority.  National Information:

- Austria: OEAD  Legal & Practical Issues for Incomings, Austrian Representations
- Romania: Romanian Visa

To obtain a visa you will need following documents (please check also with the local authority!):
  • valid passport (2-3 years)
  • NON-DEGREE seeking students (scholarship for one or two semesters):  document from the host institution that the incoming visitor (student, researcher or staff) is accepted for the stated period of academic mobility under the EM gSmart framework. No Admission at the host university necessary, students will be "exchange students".
  • DEGREE seeking students (scholarship for full studies; students will finish at host and receive e.g. an MSc: original letter of admission/ registration to an academic program from the host university
  • gSmart grant award stating funding (including cost of living, insurance etc) issued from gSmart office 
  • medical insurance (document will be provided by the gSmart office!)
  • filled in visa application form (with indication of your future address or address of the university and contact person there)
  • Legalisated and translated documents: the official admission letter from the host university will ask for legislated and translated documents, e.g. secondary education diploma, certificates about completed periods of studies, etc.

Residence permit for third countries nationals
In most European countries staying longer than three months requires a residence permit, hence besides obtaining a visa, non-EU students  also have to apply separately for a residence permit in every country they study in. Residence permit can be a plastic card, a paper document, or a sticker in passport. Some countries combine the functions of long-term visas and residence permits, and this residence permit is granted by embassies, while in some it is possible to obtain residence permit only upon arrival, e.g. in Austria.
Third-country nationals who are holders of a residence permit of a Schengen state may freely enter into and stay in any other Schengen state for a period of up to three months.

There are several types of visas issued by embassies of European countries: type C, type D and type C+D regulating duration of stay and possible number of entries and permission to travel to other EU countries. 
Please see the national information above!

Before you apply for a visa, please clarify with your EU national contact or host university international office desk, which visa type would be the best for you! Please be aware: visa issues demand time and attention. Sometimes it might take up to 6 months, start as soon as possible!!